How lucky to have the Rorschach test worldwide!
Centenary of the Creation of the Rorschach Test
July 18, 2019
The Rorschach test is 100 years old in 2021! We are really fortunate that we can participate in this historic celebration during our lifetime.
We want to take time to look back on the history of the past 100 years and see how the use of the Rorschach Test has developed. But we also want to take this opportunity to think about what will happen to the Rorschach in the next 100 years from now.
Hermann Rorschach published “Psychodiagnostics” and the 10 cards in 1921, and it is really extraordinary to still be using an assessment tool that has been unchanged for 100 years. We are still using it because it works! It is still valid and useful. But the pressing issue is “Where will the Rorschach be in another 100 years from now?” We need to decide how to develop the Rorschach for the next generation, how we can enable it to survive another century, otherwise it will simply be assigned to the history books as a lost technique.
At this congress, I want participants to be stimulated by all of the input available—exhibitions, displays, and presentations—but also be stimulated to produce an output of creative ideas on how we can make the Rorschach thrive and survive for the coming generations.
The 23rd ISR Congress 2021: ”Rorschach Centenary Congress”
Organizers: Board of the International Society for the Rorschach and Projective Methods
Theme: Rorschach and Projective Psychology: 100 Years of Fostering Human Understanding
Period: July 12—16, 2021 (July 12, Workshop)
Venue: Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Switzerland
In preparation for this event, the Organizing Committee is planning a rich variety of projects. Here are some of them:
- A map project that traces the history of how Hermann Rorschach’s “Psychodiagnostics” and the 10 cards published in Switzerland in 1921 spread, took root and developed worldwide.
- A video project composed of 10-20 very short videos from Rorschachers around the world speaking about instances where using the Rorschach had a major impact on a patient/client, to document how Rorschach assessment can affect real people’s lives.
- A translation of Rorschach’s doctoral dissertation into four languages
- An exhibition from the Herman Rorschach Archives & Museum
- Publication projects in Rorschachiana et al
The leading role in this commemorative event is you, the society presidents, and the participants. Please start planning your participation now, including symposia, oral presentations, poster presentations and spreading the word to colleagues in related fields, as well as those interested in medicine, education, art and history!
Please regularly check the International Rorschach Society website below for important updates.
President of the International Society for the Rorschach and Projective Methods (ISR)